Healthy Living at Horizons Greater Washington
We know it and you know it: rates of childhood obesity have increased due to unhealthy eating habits and lack of physical activity.
What does this mean for kids?
Aside from the obvious physical health implications – putting kids at higher risk for damaging health conditions – students don’t arrive ready to learn. Healthy bodies promote healthy minds.
WHY HEALTHY LIVING? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
Like many other habits we pick up, if adoption is encouraged early in life, there’s a higher likelihood those behaviors will stick with us. Practices learned in the classroom can follow students home and turn into lifelong habits for success. A successful healthy living program includes both the practice of healthy habits, as well as the education .
THE PRACTICE OF HEALTHY LIVING:
- At Horizons, students receive over an hour of physical activity each day through swim instruction during our summer program.
- We also ensure all our students get breakfast, lunch, and a snack while they are with us – it’s a critical part of their learning.
AN EDUCATION IN HEALTHY LIVING:
- Our Healthy Living Program includes a valuable education component – learning the benefits of healthy, locally-grown foods.
- This curriculum has included field trips to local farms and farmer’s markets, outdoor adventure trips, and beach camping visits to exercise, educate, and increase understanding of the food systems around us.
Why we need you
The program is good, but with your help it can be the best. As with all our programs, Horizons seeks not just to serve an immediate need – serving meals during the day – but to start our students down a path of lifelong success.
In order to fully implement and improve this program across all three of our sites we need your help.
- $2,000 can buy healthy, high-fiber, low-fat, low-sugar snacks for one site during the 6-week summer program.
- $500 can support 4-5 field trips for 45 students during the 6-week summer program.
- $100 can provide one healthy breakfast for 50 students during the summer program.
- $50 can provide 11 healthy lunches for one student during the summer program.
Your gift can fund the educational curriculum and reinforce healthy habits for lifelong success. We invite you to join this dedicated team and bring healthy living to Horizons. Our students hope you’ll say yes.