Over each five-week summer session, Horizons Greater Washington students show consistent gains in reading and math of 1-3 months, as measured by pre-post standardized assessments.
In 2018, additional data was collected by Concentric Research and Evaluation. When comparing students from partnering school districts with long-term Horizons students, results revealed Horizons students had higher school attendance rates, long-term strong academic achievement, and were less likely to repeat a grade or receive a disciplinary referral during middle and high school.
Evaluations consistently find that over one five-week summer session, Horizons students:
- Improve social skills
- Show increased self-confidence and motivation
- Demonstrate greater willingness to try new things
- Record higher school-year attendance
- Develop greater interest in nutrition
- Learn to swim
- Express high satisfaction with the program